file:///C:/Users/Cara/Downloads/pinterest-7f2e6%20(4).html Cara Elisabeth: Work experience

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Work experience

My Uncle's fiance gave me the number of her old  colleague, friend and wedding photographer. She assured me that she would text him that evening to let him know I was calling. When I rang a few day's later however...

Me: 'Hi, my name's Cara, John Hervin's niece...'
Gareth: 'Oh right...'
Me: 'Did Elle text you to let you know I was going to call?'
Gareth: 'Err, no...'
Me: 'Has she ever mentioned me at all?'
Gareth: 'Ah, um... no...'

Not the greatest start to asking for work experience! BUT, he was lovely about it, and when I explained what I wanted (either to speak with him about his work and experience as a photographer, or to shadow him whilst he was working), he offered for me to come along to a wedding he's shooting in Somerset this weekend!

I'm excited, but terrified. I've never done anything like this. Of course anything I will be shooting won't be used for the couple, but I want to be a little good at it still. The two lenses I own are pretty naff for stuff like this (the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm zoom) and my camera is the same Canon 1000D I bought when I started A-level photography 4 years ago (cripes, that makes me feel old!) And to be fair, the old thing still works pretty well, considering. I've been recommended a 50mm 1.8 cheapy lens that you can get off amazon for around £70, which should cover me for the weekend (arrives tomorrow - can't wait to test it!) Its a great for low-light indoor photography and creates beautiful sharp images despite looking and feeling like a toy, although I've read in reviews that it doesn't create great quality bokeh, which I'm a huge fan of.

So, now I'm swotting on wedding photography blogs, finding tips, tricks and advice for amateurs like me :) Fingers crossed that all goes well!! I'll probably give you all the gory detail after it happens :)




No comments:

Post a Comment